OMG! Barack Obama is coming over for dinner because he knows I make awesome vegan food! What should I make him?! That's the prompt for Vegan Mofo today. I would make the President what I make all my dinner guests when I want to impress: TACOS.
I would hope that he would bring Michelle with him, and I would want to showcase the beauty of veggie dishes. She's such an awesome advocate for healthy eating, that I know she'd love my tacos.
I'd make them a fresh, farmer's market peach salsa, then, I'd make a fennel apple slaw to go on the tacos!
In truth, I actually made these tacos for some great friends that just moved back to Little Rock. We won't tell the President that it's a repeat!
Peach Summer Salsa
- 4 peaches, washed and diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and diced
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Juice from 2 limes
- 3 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Once vegetables are prepped, assemble everything in a large bowl.
- Blend half mixture with immersion blender or regular blender.
- Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Fennel Apple Slaw
- 1 head of savoy cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 3 small apples, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbs chile powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up vegetables and assemble in a large bowl.
- Assemble sauce in a small bowl.
- Toss mix in half of sauce.
- Let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Toss again and add more sauce as necessary.
- Chill for another 30 minutes before serving.
For the actual tacos, I would keep it really simple. I'd cook a cup of lentils down per package instructions with a tbs or so of cumin and a little salt. I'd also roast some zucchini strips and soaked corn. It would be the perfect meal!
I hope the first family would stay for some board games or a cocktail after dinner!
What would you make the President? What other dishes have you seen around today on Vegan Mofo? Leave me a comment!