When I broke open our new CSA box to see ears of corn, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers, I knew what I'd be having for lunch. Lately, I've been having a wrap or pita with a small veggie salad mid day. This was perfect.
This salad would be great at a BBQ, because it's best eaten within 3 or 4 days. It's light and summery, and you can add different veggies depending on what you find at the market.
Summer Corn and Cucumber Salad
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 bulb fennel
- 5 small cucumbers
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 lemons
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- Pre-soak corn in husk for 1 hour in water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Set corn on middle rack, in husk. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Let corn cool down completely before shucking.
- Shuck corn and cut off cob.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut the fennel into thin strips.
- Slice cucumber into thin rounds.
- Dice jalapeno and red onion.
- Squeeze juice from lemons into a bowl.
- In that bowl, mix in EVOO, spices, and vinegar.
- Toss salad with mix.
- Sprinkle on fresh parsley.
With this salad, I whipped up a batch of Bianca's eggless tofu salad. If there's a block of tofu in the house, it usually gets turned into this awesome recipe. It's perfect in a pita. I add various veggies and spices to it depending on the day.
I crave tons of fresh food during the hot months, so this is the perfect lunch.
What's your favorite summer salad? What's your typical lunch? Leave me a comment!