You guys know I love chickpea salads! I really love making a huge batch of filling, healthy salad on a Sunday afternoon and knowing I have lunch made for the whole week. This batch is pretty huge, so you can share with someone you love.
Chickpea and Quinoa Summer Salad
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water (chickpea) + 2 cups water (quinoa)
- 1 cup grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 4 stalks green onions
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup relish
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/4 cup radishes, sliced thin
- 1 pita half
- 1/3 avocado, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chickpea quinoa salad
- 2 lettuce leaves
- Soak chickpeas overnight.
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil.
- Add chickpeas and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until soft. Drain.
- Cook quinoa per package directions (we use a rice cooker).
- Let both ingredients cool.
- In a large bowl or tupperware, combine chickpeas and quinoa.
- Add remaining ingredients for salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve in pita as directed or alone with topping (see below).
I like this salad, because the grapes give a nice burst of sweetness, and there are tons of interesting textures going on.
This works as a dinner salad or a lunch pita. You can get creative and wedge in some tomatoes or whatever you have on hand. Have fun, and mix it up!
Do you batch cook your lunch for the week? What's your favorite way to use quinoa? Leave me a comment!