I've got a simple, easy dinner for you today. This is another one that can be done easily for vegan/omni dinners, as you can easily throw in a different protein. Why would you want to, though, when jackfruit is so delicious?
BBQ Jackfruit Burritos
- 2 cans young jackfruit
- 1 red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tbs olive oil + 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups vegan bbq sauce
- 3 cups mixed greens
- tortillas of choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional topping: cashew cream sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Rinse jackfruit and break into pieces.
- Toss jackfruit in BBQ sauce and spread onto a baking dish.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Cut onion, bell pepper and jalapeno into strips.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add in onions, bell peppers and jalapeno.
- Sprinkle with pinch of salt.
- Saute for 15 minutes on medium/low.
- Place mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- In the hot skillet, add in the mixed greens and cover with a lid.
- Steam for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove jackfruit from the oven and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Assemble in a tortilla!
Jackfruit has such a meaty texture, and it goes great in a sandwich or a wrap. I find mine at our local Asian food market.
You could fill your tortillas with whatever vegetables you want, but I like the strips of onions and peppers and the steamed greens. I found this mixed bag of veggies at Kroger, and I really liked all the variety.
I made a simple cashew cream sauce to go with the wrap. The green tint on the cashew cream is because I threw in about 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro. It was great! I used it as the base layer, then I piled on the jackfruit, peppers and onions, and kale on top.
This went well with chips and salsa, although a side salad would have been great as well. This would be perfect as a sandwich, and you could also make it as a salad, if you want a more low-carb option.
These reminded me a lot of my BBQ Tempeh Wraps that were such a huge hit at Josh's work party last summer. They even made it to the Finding Vegan facebook spotlight!
Give those a try, too, if you haven't already! Let me know what you think.
Do you like wraps for dinner? What would be the perfect side dish? Leave me a comment!