Remember yesterday, when I told you about these amazing burritos? I guess that was a bit of a tease, but I'm really excited to share these with you.
Dinner in our house usually happens late, and I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking after work. So, I thought to myself, let's make some freezer meals! So, I spent a few hours on Saturday whipping up these burritos.
Josh and I are trying to eat healthy, which to us is more simple ingredients and lots of greens. This is another one of those vegan/omni compatible meals as well. Josh put chicken in his, instead of chickpeas.
Just look at all these yummy ingredients! The broccoli and brown rice was my favorite part.
Chickpea Freezer Burritos
- 1 sweet potato, cut in strips
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 10 oz chopped broccoli
- 4 oz green chilis
- 1 packet Garden of Eatin' taco seasoning
- --or-- 1 tbs cumin, 1 tbs chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt
- large burrito tortillas
- 1 jalapeno, cut into rings
- cilantro, for topping
- optional cashew cream for topping
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews
- 4 oz green chilis
- 2 tbs Mexican hot sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook brown rice per these instructions. I have found this is the best way to cook rice.
- Add chickpeas, water and taco seasoning to a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Mix broccoli and green chilis and place in a baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- While those are baking, lay sweet potato strips on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let everything cool before assembling.
- To assemble:
- 1 large tortilla
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 1/3 cup chickpea and sauce
- 2 strips of sweet potato
- 2 or 3 jalapeno rings (optional)
- fresh cilantro
- Fold the burrito. If you need help, see these instructions.
- Wrap the burrito in plastic wrap and then again in tin foil. This will keep your burrito fresh.
- Place burritos in a plastic bag or tupperware. Eat within the month.
- Makes 6-7 burritos.
- To reheat: Remove burrito from plastic and tinfoil. Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees (F).
- Blend up the ingredients for cashew cream and top your burrito.
I really like meals I can make ahead of time, and this one is great because it keeps in the freezer for awhile. It makes a quick and easy dinner that's full of healthy good stuff.
I would only put as many jalapenos in as you can handle. You can also spice it up by putting in hot sauce. I like to add the heat with the cream sauce myself. You can also top these with salsa. Enjoy!
Do you make meals ahead of time and freeze them? What are your favorite go-to vegan meals? Leave me a comment!