Yes, yes, I know. This post is a meal from the super bowl. I'm really behind, but these tacos are worth the wait. You see, I was born in New England in 1985, the same year the Pats went to the super bowl (although, they got slaughtered by the Bears, but we won't talk about that.) I can remember seeing baby pictures of myself sporting a Pats tshirt, and I've been a fan for life. So, you can imagine I was excited they were playing in the big game this year. My sister is an even crazier fan that myself, (not to mention my mother, who is the #1 fan in the house) so I invited Casey over to watch the game and eat tacos.
These tacos are dedicated to the beautiful, talented, Tom Brady.
I made a quick guac of smashed avocado, lemon, red onion, jalapeno, and salt and pepper. We snacked on that while we watched the game. At half time, we got to work on the tacos. I had already made the topping, the RED RED RED SALSA!
RED RED RED Salsa
- 1 can hot rotelle, undrained
- 1 can mexican rotelle, undrained
- 4.5 oz can green chilis
- 12 oz roasted red peppers in a jar, rinsed and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- juice from 1 lemon
- 16 oz radishes, diced
- 1 large jalapeno
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Chop all veggies and add all ingredients to a large bowl.
- With immersion blender, pulse for a few seconds, taking care to not blend everything.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving.
Bazie says, "Did someone say tacos?!"
I think I outdid myself on the taco meat this time. It's so.good. If you're wondering, the red, white and blue theme are as follows:
blue: blue corn shells
So, let's talk about this tofu.
Orange Marinated Tofu Meat
- 2 packs extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 4 oranges
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- oil for frying
- Drain blocks of tofu and slice into 1/2" slabs.
- Press with dish towels for 1 hour.
- Dice tofu.
- Make marinade in bowl using all remaining ingredients except for frying oil.
- Toss tofu in marinade and let sit for 2 hours.
- In a deep frying pan, heat pan to medium/high heat.
- Add a thin layer of oil.
- Fry tofu cubes for 4 minutes or so a side, until the edges get crispy.
- Let sit on a paper bag to absorb oil.
Basil says, "I'm a cat, so I don't like citrus. However, that tofu looks good anyway."
Once your tofu is ready, serve your tacos as follows:
Enjoy and thank me later.
These tacos are as delicious as Tom Brady, and you know that's yummy.
What are your favorite tacos? Do you follow football? Leave me a comment!