We love board games in this house, almost as much as we like eating. It's special when those two things are combined, and it's extra fun when I have vegans over! Our friends, Sheridan and Drew, came over for board games and dinner, so I wanted to make them something special. Josh has been talking about mac and cheese for weeks, and that seemed like the perfect thing to cook. We needed something healthy, too, so I made this salad from Oh She Glows.
Not only did we have mac n cheese and salad, but Sheridan made vegan pigs in a blanket! I was sooo excited when she told me she was bringing them!
Over Christmas, I discovered the combination of tomato soup and soaked cashews. I knew I wanted to use it for mac n cheese, so that's what I did.
Baked Mac N Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 3 cups vegan tomato soup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups uncooked pasta
- optional - vegan parm topping from Oh She Glows Salad
- optional - 2 cups kale or broccoli
- Soak cashews overnight. Discard water.
- In a high powdered blender, blend cashews, soup, salt, and nooch.
- Adjust salt per taste.
- Set aside.
- Boil pasta per instructions. Cook slightly underdone.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees (F).
- Rinse pasta in warm water.
- In a large, deep baking dish, add rinsed pasta, cashew cream, and veggies (if using). You may not need all of the cashew cream.
- Top with the vegan parm (optional).
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot!
The amazing salad is from Oh She Glows. Make it immediately!
It was a great night. After dinner, we played People Person, made by a guy here in Little Rock. It's a really fun card game, and I can't wait to play again.
Not only did we have games, but we had dessert! The brownie is from this recipe, and cheesecake are from That's So Raw. They have a new shop in Jacksonville, and I stopped by and stocked up. I'm working on a write-up about them that will come out soon.
Do you play board games? What's your favorite vegan mac and cheese? Leave me a comment!