Sometimes, you have happy accidents in the kitchen. Last Sunday, I was having a Downton Abbey marathon, and I realized I didn't have anything for lunches at work the next week. So, I grabbed my crock pot and a few things on hand, and I created one of my favorite soups EVER. The recipe is so easy, but the outcome is soooooo delicious. Josh loved this soup, and he's particularly picky with things with too much kale.
You can set this up and go to work or on an outing, and when you come home, you will have a spicy, hearty, healthy soup for dinner. It keeps well and makes a filling and delicious lunch as well.
Spicy Kale and Lentil Lunch Soup
- 1 cup lentils, washed and checked for impurities
- 14 oz fingerling yukon gold potatoes
- 2 vegan bullion cubes, smashed
- 2 yellow onions, rough chopped
- 10 oz frozen kale
- 2 jalapenos (optional), diced
- 1 tbs vegan butter (optional)
- 4 cups water
- Spice mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs ground thyme
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbs powdered garlic
- Cut onions and jalapenos.
- Add to bottom of slow cooker with vegan butter. If not using butter, omit.
- Add in lentils, potatoes, and kale.
- Add in spice mix.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk bullion cube with water.
- Add water/bullion cube.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
We paired the soup with seed bread croutons from Whole Foods. It's good on its own, but if you want to toast some bread and have with it, go for it.
This makes a great lunch soup, because it's full of protein and carbohydrates, and anything with that much kale must be good for you!
Basil, the greens thief in the house, was very sad that I used frozen kale. Whenever I chop a big bunch of greens, she finds some way to steal a piece. Not this time, Bazie!
So tasty! This makes quite a bit of soup, and it freezes well. I love having healthy food in the freezer for dinner during the week.
Do you have a go-to crock pot soup? Do you like bringing warm lunches during cold weather? Let me know!