A little over a year ago, my girlfriends and I went down to New Orleans for my friend Amber's 30th Birthday. While down there, her mother threw her a big lunch to celebrate, and she made Texas Caviar, or Black Eyed Pea salad. I wrote about it here. It was absolutely delicious, and I knew from then on, I would be making that for New Year's Eve. Since my college football team, the Arkansas Razorbacks, just destroyed the Texas Longhorns in the Texas Bowl this year, I thought I could rename this dish Arkansas Caviar. I added a bunch of red veggies in for good measure.
This is a great party dish, and even though we didn't have a New Year's party this year, Josh and I still munched on this fresh, tasty topping.
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 cup radishes, sliced thin and halved
- 1 jalapeno, diced, (optional)
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing of your choice
- 1/2 tsp salt, optional, depending on your salad dressing
- a few cracks of fresh pepper
- Chop all veggies.
- Rinse beans and add to bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Let sit in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.
Add jalapeno if you like it spicy.
This dish will get better the longer it's allowed to sit for up to 3 days.
I really love a good black eyed pea salad. You'll probably notice a theme on the blog this week, because we ate a ton of black eyed peas over the past few days. If you don't like them, you could easily sub black beans or pinto beans for any of the recipes.
This is a filling salad. For dinner New Year's Eve, I had planned on having vegan cheeses, baked tofu slices, veggies, fruit, and this salad. We ended up munching on this and that was it. We had our Game of Thrones lunch the next day.
What did you eat on New Year's Eve? Have you ever made Texas Caviar? Leave a comment!