I'm trying to get more veggies in my diet. It seems like as soon as the weather turned cold, I went to eating toast, sandwiches and pancake at every meal. So, I wanted to come up with something that was hearty and healthy for my work lunch. I like to make stack salads, but I thought, why not a stack quinoa bowl?
I was so happy with how these turned out, and I think you will be too. If you like, make sure to bring some hot sauce to spice it up.
Quinoa, Cabbage, and Kale Lunch Salad
Makes 5 large lunches
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 5 cups chopped kale
- 1 tbs vegan butter
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tbs spicy mustard per container (5)
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar per container (5)
- Cook quinoa in a rice cooker or on the stove top per these instructions.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop red cabbage into thin strips.
- Heat a wok on medium/high heat.
- Add 1 tbs olive oil to pan.
- Add cabbage and cover with lid to steam.
- Stir often and cook until soft.
- While cabbage is cooking, chop garlic and kale.
- Add 1/2 tsp to cabbage and pour into a large bowl.
- In the same pan, add kale, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and juice from 2 lemons.
- Saute for 5 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the nutritional yeast, stock and almonds.
- Cook down for 10 minutes.
- Once quinoa is done, toss with vegan butter and a pinch of salt.
- Let everything cool before assembling the salad.
- To assemble, place 1 tbs in bottom of container, cover with 1/3 to 1/2 cup quinoa, then red wine vinegar, then 1 cup cabbage, then 1/2 cup kale mixture.
- To eat, warm up in microwave for 2 minutes and mix together.
- Keep in the fridge for up to a week.
The key to cooking the cabbage down is steaming it. It may seem like a ton at first, but it will cook down quite a bit.
I love the combination of spicy mustard and balsamic vinegar.
This healthy, hearty lunch is sure to keep you from snacking throughout the day.
Also, if you loved my roasted beet and grapefruit salad, head over and give it a vote on Virtual Vegan Potluck!