I like to make veggie burgers for Josh and I often, because they're filling and go great on buns or on salads. This one is really delicious and covered in seeds, and it's super easy to make!
Pinto Bean Burgers
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup ground chia seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 - 3 tbs oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F)
- In a large fry pan, heat oil to medium heat.
- In a food processor, combine pinto beans, rice, peppers, onion, basil and garlic.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chia seeds and water.
- In a large bowl, combine bean mixture with chia mixture.
- Fold in flour and sesame seeds.
- Form bean mixture into patties.
- Once oil is hot, pan fry patties for 2 minutes on each side.
- Set on paper towel to drain, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- If you want to skip the frying, add another 10 minutes to the bake.
- Serve on your favorite bun!
Bean burgers are great, because you can make them ahead of time and freeze them. They're easy to take out for a quick dinner. We make them a lot.
This would work well with all sorts of different beans, also. You could use some of your leftover crock pot black beans for a spicy flavor.
Of course, we served these up with a big dinner salad on a nice, warm bun. They would be great on a bed of greens, too.
Hope you enjoy!