Today, I'm bringing you breakfast. This dish is very easy to make, but it packs a flavor punch. If you're like me, you might travel for the holidays and be the only vegan in the house. This is a dish that I often make at home and bring with me, but it's easy to make when you get to your destination. This makes a good amount of food as well.
Tempeh Breakfast Scramble
- 1 pack of tempeh
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large saute pan, place block of tempeh and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- While tempeh is boiling, chop kale and get spices mixed in a small bowl.
- Drain the pan and place tempeh to the side in a bowl.
- Set pan on medium/high.
- Add coconut oil to the pan and let melt.
- With a potato masher, mash tempeh in the bowl.
- Add tempeh to the saute pan.
- Add in spice mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium/low.
- Add in water and lime juice and cook down for 15 minutes.
- Add in kale and cook down until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve on toast!
This dish would be great by itself, on toast, or wrapped up in a burrito. It's filling and delicious, and it will give you a good start to your day.