This vegan pizza is jam packed with protein and flavor. It's very simple, but it packs a powerful punch. I love our pizza nights, and it's made even easier if you have a pre-prepared crust at home. Of course, you get a gold star if you make your own crust, but I'm just working up to it.
The star of this dish is the topping! It's so delicious, cheesy and salty. You can put it in a lasagna or top a pizza with it!
Basil Tofu Ricotta
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- a few cracks of pepper
- Take tofu out of container and wrap in a kitchen towel. Place plate on top and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Crumble tofu into a large bowl.
- Mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
The second topping you will need to make ahead are the curry eggplant rounds. These would be wonderful on a sandwich as well as pizza.
Curry Eggplant Rounds
- 1 few pinches salt
- 2 small eggplant
- 2 tsp curry
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2" rings.
- Place on clean dish towels, sprinkle with salt, cover with more dish towels.
- Place large pan on top.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Brush off salt, place on oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Let cool.
Let's make some pizza!
Black Bean Eggplant Pizza
- 1 prepared pizza crust
- 1 cup black bean hummus
- store bought or make your own
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- curry eggplant rounds (see above)
- basil tofu ricotta (see above)
- Brush crust with olive oil.
- Spread on black bean hummus.
- Top with eggplant rounds.
- Cover with tofu ricotta.
- Sprinkle with diced onion and red pepper.
- Bake per crust package instructions.
I used some delicious black bean hummus from Geek Eats. We are very lucky here to have such local, high quality hummus being made in Little Rock. I need to re-stock, since I have eaten most of what I purchased a week ago.
The tofu ricotta was so delicious! I am definitely imagining what other Italian dishes I can make with this wondrous topping.
Need more vegan pizza in your life? Check out my 5 favorite ones!