This past weekend, Josh and I made plans to see our good friends, Nick and Amber. We were going to go down to their house to play with the new development kit for the Oculus Rift and their adorable baby, Ellie. After we made plans for our visit, I was sitting around the house thinking, "hm... maybe we should make dinner together. I have tons of things in the house I could use to make something." Two minutes later, my phone rang and it was Amber, wondering if we'd like to cook out! Yes!
So, I ran to the kitchen and started creating some vegan summer salads. I had a block of tempeh in the fridge as well, so I cut it into 6 cubes, boiled it for 15 minutes, then put it in a tupperware with Annie's Tuscan Italian dressing. I was hoping for a bbq sauce, but we were out, and this still turned out great. I let that marinate all afternoon (about 5 hours), and it was perfect.
I knew I wanted to make a potato salad and a zucchini slaw, and I had all the ingredients for both!
Olive Oil Garlic Potato Salad
- 28 oz baby golden potatoes
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 small green bell peppers
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 small jalapeno
- In a large pot, place potatoes inside and cover with water. Heat water to boil and cook for 20 - 25 minutes. You will know that potatoes are ready if you can easily poke them with a fork.
- Drain water and let potatoes cool down before using.
- While potatoes are cooling, mix up olive oil, garlic and salt in a small bowl. I would start with the lower recommendations. You can always add more. It might seem oily/salty at first, but the potatoes will absorb a lot of that flavor.
- Chop your bell pepper, onions and jalapeno small.
- Once your potatoes cool, cut them into small pieces and add to a large bowl.
- Pour over olive oil/garlic mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add veggies and rosemary.
- Mix and taste. Adjust your salt and olive oil to taste.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for an hour, unless you are serving warm. It would be good either way.
The second salad I made was full of fresh, light veggies!
Lemon Zucchini Slaw
- 5 small to medium sized zucchini
- 2 large carrots
- 10 oz grape tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large shallot
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- generous amount of cracked pepper
- On a mandoline, shred the zucchini and carrots into long strips.
- Add to a large bowl.
- Cut the grapes in half and add to the bowl.
- Cut the bell peppers into 4 pieces, then run over the blade edge of the mandoline to get a thin strip, or slice thin with a knife.
- Add bell peppers to the bowl.
- Chop the shallot into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Juice the lemons over the vegetables, then add olive oil and toss.
- Add salt, thyme and pepper and taste.
- Let sit in the fridge for an hour before serving.
I put the salads in the fridge to rest, and when we were ready to head to Nick and Amber's, I had dinner ready! They made some curly fries (yum), as well as some grilled asparagus. We threw my tempeh on the grill for 5 minutes on each side, and it came out PERFECT. I have never grilled tempeh before, and I don't know what I've been doing with my life. It was crispy and delicious.
It was a really lovely meal with great company, and I hope we do it again soon! I had no trouble cleaning my plate. Yum!
Have you ever grilled tempeh?